Thursday, April 7, 2011

Week 1 1A

My creativity works when I am happy. A blue day probably will not wake up the creativity in my brain. But, to be honest, I have very limited creativity. I guess it is because, a lot of times, I find out my imaginations do not fit into this realistic world. It is very sad to see how the real world works in a totally different way than I thought. All of sudden, all the stories I wrote are not valuable because people are too realistic to appreciate naive stories. 

I enjoy to talk with people who are in my age or older than me. I feel their perspectives and ideas keep inspiring me and giving me sparks when I am creating my stories or generating my own perspectives. My peers are really telling me what common people are thinking so that I can avoid some kind of naiveness in my nature when I am creating something. 

Claude Monet is my favorite impressionist painter. This is one of his most famous paintings, Bridge over a Pond of Water Lilies



This is a view from Monet's private water-lily garden. He has a series of paintings of his garden from different views during different seasons. Among those paintings, this is the most impressive one to me. At the very first time I saw this painting, I was so amazed by Monet's techniques of using the similar colors to draw the layers in the painting that represent the real garden.

It is very easy to make mistakes by using similar colors which will confuse the readers as well. The affinity of green colors is also a challenge for people to carefully appreciate this painting. Light green, dark green, medium green, all these green colors are just right enough to make readers feel the pleasant summer in the painting. Also, contrasting with colors for other objects in the painting, including water lilies and the bridge, the green colors seem overwhelming but even more essential than people expect. The usage of other colors kind of neutralize the overwhelming green colors. 

I definitely appreciate Monet's guts of using similar colors, which encourages me to create on topics that people have already used for many times, because, even they are the similar topics (or similar colors), as long as I have the right technique of using them, I can make a good story or a nice creation anyway. 




Joe Hisaishi, a Japanese composer, probably is the most talent and gifted composer in my perspective. He has been composing music for movies and Japanese animations over twenty years. Hisaishi is not only good at matching the story with the perfect music, obviously, he is good at using the concepts we talked in MDIA 203 class, such as tension and release

In this One Summer's Day, there times that tempi are apparently faster than their following parts. The beginning goes quite slow, that gives listeners a peaceful feeling, a beautiful release. At 3:24, the tempo starts to go faster, which creates a sort of tension, then the tempo goes slow again to give listeners another release. Those kinds of techniques are appearing in his music all the time. A lot of times, his music is more than the example of using these techniques but a gorgeous sound from heaven. The repeated cycle of fast and slow tempo keep catching listeners' attention and giving the repeated tension and release. 

James Cameron, the director of Titanic, did a great job on Titanic, though I fail to appreciate Avatar that much. I am sure people knowTitanic and, maybe even stereotype this movie. We can't deny the huge success this movie enjoyed when it was released at a global market level. 

here are many touching details and moments that used those concepts we talked in class. The very first one I remember deeply is a scene a old man hugs his wife on bed when water flows under their bed. That is a two or three seconds scene. It goes really fast but it already includes all the information we need. By that time, audiences already know the ship is about to sink and almost every one is trying to get on the lifeboats but there are not enough lifeboats, meanwhile, people from first class have the priority to get on boats first, which means, people from second class or third class don't even have the chance to get on dock. The old couple, who automatically give up the chance to survive, who peacefully wait for their death, now appear in this scene then cut to other people. The texthere is the couple hugs on the bed. Then, what about the subtext? It can be diverse, depending on audiences' personal opinions. I will argue the subtext has multiple meanings: the couple's graceful attitude to death, they give the survival opportunities to others, and it even is a suggestion that people from lower class in the society are not as "valuable" as people from the upper class society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment