Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Week 5A



The eyes can convey much more information than we thought. Sally Mann’s original picture place the kid’s head right at the middle of the frame, which allows the readers focus on the kid’s eyes at first, then exam the rest of the picture, such as what does the kid dress. I appreciate Mann’s original idea to get people’s attention on the kid’s eyes. 

However, I feel like readers’ attention will be distracted by other information in the picture. So when I reframe it, since I know I want a more intense feeling drove by the kid’s eyes, I zoomed in the picture and pull the frame closer on the head and barely left space around the kid’s head. I feel after I reframe the picture, the new version seems more stressful than the original one since I don’t really have room, or space, around the kid. But Mann’s original one has a lot more space around the kid. Since Mann uses CU, mine is XCU. Although, the original one make people have a depressed feeling because what might be reflected through the kid’s eyes, the large space around the kid’s head gives some room for readers to breath. So I feel my version is more visually intensive than Mann’s original one. 

Also, I don’t really feel that Mann’s picture follows the rule of third. Mann put the kid just right at the center of the frame. I tried to make the kid’s eyes fall on the intersections of line when I apply the rule of third, so that the kid’s eyes are more focused and somehow exaggerated as well. Once the saddest part of the picture is amplified, the larger tension is created. I think Mann’ did a great job in tension and release. She released the readers’ tension by the empty space in the picture. I also appreciate the subtext in the picture. The text is very obvious, a cold, facial expression. The depressing feelings, the subtext, come out the eyes of the kid is very touching. 



No comments:

Post a Comment